Sore joints are an all-too-common by-product of longtime strength and bodybuilding-style training. But, they can be minimized with a few precautions.
- Find alternatives for exercises that hurt. Barbells are typically less forgiving on the shoulders than other types of equipment.
- Always use a smooth, controlled motion and never bounce out of the bottom of a rep.
- Machines not set to your body type may aggravate sore joints.
- Do a more extensive warm-up, including dynamic stretches like high kicks and marching knees to chest.
- Avoid training to failure. Everyone struggles to hold form on that last rep.
- Skip (or limit) the intensity-boosting techniques that require you to push past failure.
- Stop short of locking out a joint.
- Don’t boost training intensity too fast, meaning monitor your weight and volume increases week to week!
- Don’t forget, the right supplements can make a big difference, too.